Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Project Learning Tree Reflection

I have never been one to enjoy science. Let alone environmental science. In fact environmental science is the only class I've ever taken and been worried I would fail. I just couldn't grasp why people enjoyed studying the wetlands or the changes of Green Lake over time. 

After experiencing some activities and learning about Project Learning Tree I'm actually feeling excited (to my surprise) to find ways to incorporate this into my classroom. I never learned science through different content areas, it was just strictly sciene is staying in science, and maybe that's why I found it so dreadful. I realized how much you can connect it to other subject areas and I really think that can make such a huge difference in a students interest. For example, the activity "Resource-Go-Round" is a great way to tie in social studies, science, and visuals to see where products come from in different parts of the world.

Another thing that I think is so important for environmental education is making it connect to the kids themselves. I remember taking a survey to see what my carbon footprint was and that really hit home with me. I was able to see how I was making and impact and how it tied in with what I was learning. I thinking showing kids how their own actions effect the environment is a great teaching point.

I'm excitied to take what I learned from Project Learning Tree and implement it into my own classroom. 

1 comment:

  1. I am totally on the same level as you when it comes to science. However, it was all thanks to a teacher that I was able to begin to enjoy learning about the environment. I remember doing a carbon footprint just like you and it felt so real. I think anytime we can relate our lesson to students' personal lives, we will have engaged and receptive students. I'd like to hear more about the Resource-Go-Round activity, why would you use it in your future classroom?

    ReplyDelete